Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Amish store































Last Sunday, we took an improvised mini road trip to an Amish store that is an hour away from home. The Amish came to my attention around a month ago after we went to a Ballon Festival where these ex-Amish guys had a donut stand called "The Amish Bakery." Yes, I know, it's kinda funny, but oh glory, those donuts were heavenly. So, after my glorious donut experience, I was hooked and wanted to know more. I started looking into their culture, recipes and a whole slew of things related to them. I found out there's only one Amish community here in NC, and it happens to be 45 mins away from home. YES. So off to their little store we go.

It was a beautiful day with an amazing Carolina blue sky. The little store was packed so we could barely move around. The kids started getting a little fussy, but they did good overall. People were taking 3-5 bags of their bread at a time, so mom got some bread to try. I went there  thinking how I wanted to get a bunch of different little homemade things. But instead, I walked out that store with 2 things: a goat milk soap (that Abi would keep sniffing on) and a recipe book. That was an all-out challenge for me: to learn how to make all these amazing things they can make in the comfort of my home.

The book remains untouched in my kitchen counter--for now. I have my finals Dec,16th, so cooking amazing homemade meals from scratch is not my highest priority at the moment. But it will be. Eventually :). As soon as I get some wisdom from that fat book, I'll share a few things with you here. In the meantime, I keep wishing we could go back and bring... just about everything they have there.

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment